Friday, May 9, 2008

Graduation


This week was our graduation at the English program. It was a time for students to see their final grades and get their certificates. I had only a handful of students pass the exam and not have too many absenses (see photo above).

Some students didn't remember that they were told the first day, and other times as well, that they would not get a certificate if they missed 6 classes or more. That meant that I had to listen to a few of them beg for mercy (missing around 10 classes out of 22) for a certificate. Begging works in this cultural usually, but it didn't work on me. I feel that we have to keep some limits to make the certificates worth it. Only one student from the program left and said "if you don't give me one I will be angry with you". I told him I was sorry, but he wasn't getting a certificate with 11 absenses. Now I will have to wait and see if he really won't talk to me again or come to our program.

No comments: